Flipboard 3.0 has launched for iOS users, which brings a redesign for the iPhone, plus adds over 30,000 topics to follow using technology from rival Zite it acquired back in March.
There’s also a new Daily Edition, a daily digest of news tailored for specific regions (Canada not included yet) for the U.S., UK, Latin America, U.S. Latino, Brazil and India.
The redesign for the iPhone looks much cleaner and looks great on the iPhone 6 Plus:
What’s New in Version 3.0
The third generation of Flipboard offers topic tags that create a highly personalized experience filled with precisely what you like. There’s also a new morning news magazine called The Daily Edition, and a fresh new phone design that quickly brings the stories that matter most to you front and center.
• Choose from over 30,000 topics to follow. Each topic is powered by the best stories across publishers, websites and the 10+ million magazines made on Flipboard.
• Explore topics through search or by tapping on topic tags at the bottom left of articles.
• Start your day with The Daily Edition, featuring articles selected by our team, ready at 7 a.m. every day.
• Follow people to stay up-to-date on everything they’re collecting into their magazines.
• Enjoy an overall design refresh, including full-bleed magazine covers, new typography, and more prominent comment displays and attribution.
On the phone only:
• A brand-new look and feel: use the new tab bar to quickly navigate between your Flipboard, everything you’re following, search, notifications and your profile.
• Share, like or flip your favorite stories into magazines more quickly from easier-to-access buttons.
Overall, this new design retains Flipboard’s original theme, but mashes in Zite topics and the latter’s discovery algorithm based on topics you choose to follow.
Flipboard CEO Mike McCue told Fast Company the addition of Zite’s algorithm and Flipboard’s ability to showcase stories in a magazine-like fashion creates something more interesting than each app on their own: “We look at them as the science, and we’re kind of the art.”
Click here to download Flipboard 3.0 for iOS. Let me know what you think of this update!