After teasing a brand new version of Skype 5.0 for iPhone, the brand new version has hit the App Store earlier than expected (the team said in about a week) as it’s available now.
The redesigned app is now faster, easier to navigate, cloud-synced notifications and a revamped calling and video experience. Skype says a brand new version of the app for iPad is coming soon too.
What’s New in Version 5.0
• Overall performance improvements – faster start up and fluid animations.
• A new modern hub centric design putting recent conversations first – just swipe to see your favourite people or contacts.
• Richer and more reliable messaging: create groups, share photos (even to offline contacts) and video messages.
• In-app notifications for quick conversation switching, and in-app controls to manage notifications.
• A new simplified, modern voice and video calling experience.
Upon opening the app for the first time, you’re greeted with a slick promo video for the ‘remastered’ app. The new interface is very clean and simple, and definitely has hints of Microsoft’s Windows Phone.
The new hub allows you to swipe left or right to view your contacts, recent chats, favourites and more. It’s just easier to use. We haven’t tested voice or video calling yet but the chat experience is much improved compared to before as everything feels much faster.
Click here to download Skype for iPhone 5.0. Let us know how you like this update.