Bell has announced it has lowered roaming rates for travellers heading to Cuba, a popular sun destination for many Canadians.
“Bell customers asked us for better roaming rates to the places they travel to the most, so they can enjoy the same great smartphone experience they have at home while travelling abroad,” said Wade Oosterman, President of Bell Mobility. “We are pleased to add Cuba to the growing list of countries where we’ve significantly lowered the cost of mobile roaming for Canadian consumers.”
The following changes go into effect on February 11 for roaming in Cuba:
- Data roaming rates as low as $0.60 per megabyte
- Voice calling for $0.50 per minute
- 60 minutes of voice and text messaging (unlimited incoming; 200 sent texts) package for $45
- Pay-per-use roaming in Cuba is now billed at $2/minute for voice
- Pay-per-use roaming in Cuba is now billed at $8/MB (a 50% reduction)
These rates aren’t exactly ‘cheap’ by any means, but if you want to use your phone outside of Canada, it’ll cost you.
If you don’t want to incur extra data roaming charges while travelling outside of Canada, ensure your iPhone has Data Roaming toggled off (it’s off by default):
Settings > Cellular > Data Roaming > OFF