Firecore has announced they have updated aTV Flash (black) and Seas0nPass to bring an untethered jailbreak for the Apple TV (2nd generation) running 5.3 firmware, with help coming from @iH8sn0w, @winocm, and @SquiffyPwn for the latter software.
As for the jailbreak status of the third generation Apple TV running 6.0+ firmware? Firecore says “there has been some encouraging progress made” thanks to @evad3rs and @nitoTV, with hopefully positive news to come soon.
The latest 2.4 update brings various bug fixes and improvements along with support for the untethered 5.3 ATV2 jailbreak. Below are instructions on how to update from Firecore:
Option 1 – if you’re already running 5.3
1. On the ATV2, navigate to Maintenance > Manage Extras
2. Install the Maintenance (2.4) update and the Click to Untether (1.2) items – restart the Apple TV when prompted.
Option 2 – to update or reinstall 5.3
1. (Optional) Navigate to Maintenance > Settings > Manage Backups and create a new backup. Double-check to ensure the backup is listed in the Restore From Backups menu.
2. Download the latest version of Seas0nPass.
3. Open and run Seas0nPass normally, to update the Apple TV to 5.3 untethered.
4. Download and run the new 2.4 version of aTV Flash (black) to reinstall.
aTV Flash (black), once installed on an Apple TV2, brings extended functionality to device, beyond what is available from Apple.
Due to the nature of the ATV2 still being able to be jailbroken, prices for the device have risen due to intense demand in the used marketplace, with prices reaching as high as $350 on Craigslist, despite its original $99 sticker price.
Are you using a jailbroken second generation Apple TV?