CUPERTINO, Calif.–(BUSINESS WIRE)–Apple® today announced financial results for its fiscal 2012 second quarter ended March 31, 2012. The Company posted quarterly revenue of $39.2 billion and quarterly net profit of $11.6 billion, or $12.30 per diluted share. These results compare to revenue of $24.7 billion and net profit of $6.0 billion, or $6.40 per diluted share, in the year-ago quarter. Gross margin was 47.4 percent compared to 41.4 percent in the year-ago quarter. International sales accounted for 64 percent of the quarter’s revenue.
“We’re thrilled with sales of over 35 million iPhones and almost 12 million iPads in the March quarter”
The Company sold 35.1 million iPhones in the quarter, representing 88 percent unit growth over the year-ago quarter. Apple sold 11.8 million iPads during the quarter, a 151 percent unit increase over the year-ago quarter. The Company sold 4 million Macs during the quarter, a 7 percent unit increase over the year-ago quarter. Apple sold 7.7 million iPods, a 15 percent unit decline from the year-ago quarter.
“We’re thrilled with sales of over 35 million iPhones and almost 12 million iPads in the March quarter,” said Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO. “The new iPad is off to a great start, and across the year you’re going to see a lot more of the kind of innovation that only Apple can deliver.”
“Our record March quarter results drove $14 billion in cash flow from operations,” said Peter Oppenheimer, Apple’s CFO. “Looking ahead to the third fiscal quarter, we expect revenue of about $34 billion and diluted earnings per share of about $8.68.”
Product sales for Q2:
- 35.1 million iPhones (88% increase from the year ago quarter)
- 11.8 million iPads (151% increase from the year ago quarter)
- 4 million Macs (7% increase from the year ago quarter)
- 7.7 million iPods (15% decrease from the year ago quarter)
- $14 billion in cash generated this quarter
- $11.6 billion net profit
In comparison, 2012 Q1 resulted in a $46 billion dollar quarter and 37 million iPhones sold. This included the coveted holiday period though.
Conference call notes:
- iPod sales were ahead of expectations; iPod touch more than half of sales; 70% MP3 player share in USA
- iTunes store had $1.9 billion in sales; an increase 35% from the year ago quarter. 28 million songs and 45,000 movies now available
- China is now a 5x increase from a year ago; iPhone 4S now in over 100 countries
- iPad: now in 40 countries; sales doubling in each segments; $6.6b in accessories sold; 132% increase
- Education: In March, 2 iPads for every Mac for K-12 customers; San Diego purchased 10K in March quarter; 15K more in June quarter
- iCloud: 125 million customers
- Apple Retail: $4.4b in revenue; 38% increase compared to year ago quarter; 826,000 Macs sold in Apple Stores, which now stand at 363 locations. $12.2 million revenue per store; 85 million visitors to stores, or 18000/store per week
- Cash: $110.2 billion; $97.6 in Dec; $74 billion off shore; $14 billion cash earned this quarter
- 365 million total iOS devices sold to date
Updating…refresh for updates.