The iPhone 3GS jailbreak and unlock for firmware 3.0 has arrived!
Before we begin however, please take some time to review the notes below as they are very important:
– Do not update to firmware 3.1 if you want to be able to unlock or jailbreak your iPhone/iPod Touch
– The methods listed below can be followed on BOTH a PC or a Mac
– Users experiencing download issues when using Internet Explorer or Safari should use Firefox, as that seems to work fine
– If the 3.0 firmware files download as a .ZIP and are unusable, change the .ZIP extension to .IPSW
– Once again, Do not update to firmware 3.1 if you want to be able to unlock or jailbreak your iPhone/iPod Touch
How To Jailbreak and Unlock the iPhone 3GS on 3.0 Firmware
To jailbreak and/or unlock your iPhone 3GS on the 3.0 firmware and so you can put in your Rogers/Fido SIM card (or any other carrier SIM), follow the steps below:
How to Jailbreak the iPhone 3GS
2.) Download the 3.0 firmware for the iPhone 3GS here.
3.) Put the downloads from Steps 1 and 2 into a single folder together.
4.) Open iTunes and plug your iPhone 3GS in via the USB. Backup your iPhone 3GS if iTunes allows you to.
5.) When iTunes recognizes the iPhone 3GS, click â€œCheck for Updatesâ€ in iTunes. This will update your iPhone 3GS with the 3.0 firmware. (If you are already running 3.0, go to Step 7).
Note: If firmware 3.1 has been released, skip step 5. Instead, you must do a restore to 3.0 using the firmware from step 2. On a PC, hold Shift on the keyboard or on a Mac, hold Option on the keyboard, and click “Restore” in iTunes. A window will open. Select the 3.0 firmware from step 2 and then proceed to step 6.
6.) After the update is complete, iTunes will prompt you to Set up a New Device or Restore from Back Up from an existing backup. Choose which ever you want and let iTunes process.
7.) After the processing is complete, keep the iPhone 3GS plugged in via USB. Eject the iPhone 3GS from within iTunes and close iTunes. Turn the iPhone 3GS off and then turn the iPhone 3GS back on.
8.) Open the redsn0w install file and click “Browse”. A window will open. Locate the downloaded 3.0 firmware from Step 2.
9.) Once the firmware is verified, click Next. On the next screen, put a check mark beside Cydia and Icy and then click Next.
10.) Follow the on-screen instructions EXACTLY.
11.) Redsn0w will guide you on how to get your iPhone 3GS into Recovery Mode. Recovery mode can be hard to do, so make sure you follow the steps. If the iPhone 3GS does not get into Recovery Mode, just quit redsn0w and you will have to try again starting from step 7.
12.) After the processing is complete (about 5 – 6 minutes), your iPhone 3GS will be jailbroken. Disconnect the USB cable from the iPhone 3GS. Turn the iPhone 3GS off and then turn the iPhone 3GS back on.
How to Unlock the iPhone 3GS
1.) Run the Cydia app on your iPhone 3GS running 3.0 firmware and apply all of the prompted updates.
2) Go back into Cydia, tap Search and type in mobilesubstrate. Ensure you are running the latest version. If not, tap Install and then Confirm.
3) Go back into Cydia, tap Manage, Sources, Edit, and Add the repo repo666.ultrasn0w.com.
4.) Select the newly added Repo in the Sources Menu screen and select â€˜ultrasn0wâ€™. Then tap Install and then Confirm. After the install, tap Return to Cydia and then push the iPhone Home Button.
5.) Turn the iPhone 3GS off and then turn the iPhone 3GS back on.
If you follow the steps above carefully, you will have success.
The above guide will be added to a newly updated list of iPod/iPhone jailbreaks/unlocks that I will post soon.