WOW! WHAT AN UPDATE!
Hey all! Below is a list (with probably a few missed features) of what was announced for the 3.0 software update preview for iPhones and iPod Touches on March 17, 2009. Please note that a few of the features will not work with the original iPhone such as MMS and that the update is due “Summer 2009”.
New iPhone features with the 3.0 Software Update
1. Push notifications for applications (have an instant message app running in the background giving you updates)
2. Turn by turn GPS for future developed Map applications
3. Peer to peer connections. You find another iPhone with Bluetooth and then start a sharing session via WiFi. Watch this video for an idea.
4. Copy, cut, and paste. Shake the iPhone to undo. Double tap to select text and bring up a cut/copy/paste menu and drag your finger along a word to copy
5. You can now send multiple photos using Mail (as opposed to only one before) using the copy/paste menu
6. Landscape keyboard now available in Mail, Note, and SMS (This is a BIG one)
7. MMS support (pictures are sent in the text message bubble but just without the text) (You can now send photos, contacts, audio files, or your location via Maps) (This is HUGE)
8. You can forward or delete individual SMS messages now (like each individual bubble). (Take THAT Crap-Berry)
9. You can make Voice recordings and they can be trimmed within the iPhone and sent via MMS or email
10. Landscape view in Stocks with additional statistical information such as Highs or Lows so that now everyone can watch and understand what “Depression” means! 🙂
11. You can now Search for content within the device. Search for Contacts, Music, Calendar events, Notes, or Mail. (Blackberry users will be familiar with this in their Music application)
12. Spotlight (a Mac program) is now installed on the iPhone. You can search for applications now instead of swiping your finger to get to additional home screens (the option is at the bottom of the home screen)
13. Notes Sync
14. Audio/video tags
15. Live streaming
16. Shake to shuffle (Shaking the iPhone while in iPod activates the shuffle mode. Not sure how this will fare with workouts and joggers…)
17. Wi-Fi auto login (Next time you’re at Starbucks, your iPhone will automatically log you in)
18. Stereo Bluetooth (A2DP support) (This is HUGE)
19. Maps inside other applications. So now new applications will be able to use the Maps application that everyone knows and loves
20. iTunes account creation
21. YouTube ratings
22. Anti-Phishing (Great for security when browsing in Safari)
23. You can now use your iPhone to control accessories, for example, using your iPhone to equalize sound when connected to a loudspeaker or stereo dock.
24. VPN on demand
25. From apps downloaded from the AppStore, you can now use Micro-transactions to purchase content within downloaded apps (new clothing in Sims 3 for example or buy additional magazine subscriptions.)
26. YouTube subscriptions
27. YouTube accounts and Encrypted profiles.
28. Auto-fills (meh.)
29. Rumble. Now apps that requires a rumble feature (mostly for video games) can rumble and improve the user experience!
30. Tethering support built-in
31. General performance upgrades to address laggyness and etc
As I said earlier, the update will be available in Summer 2009 and free for all iPhone users.
List any features I missed below in the comments!!!!!