A 6-year-old boy from Brooklyn, who was using Samsung’s recalled Galaxy Note 7 smartphone at home, have suffered burns when the device suddenly burst into flames in his hands, New York Post is reporting. His grandmother Linda Lewis told the publication that the child was watching videos on the phone when the battery exploded. “He’s now too scared to go near any other devices”, she added.
The boy’s family called 911, and he was rushed to Downstate Medical Center with burns to his body. “He is home now,” Lewis said. “He doesn’t want to see or go near any phones. He’s been crying to his mother.” The grandmother said the family has been in contact with Samsung about the incident, but refused to give any further details.
Meanwhile, Samsung is now urging consumers to turn off Galaxy note 7 smartphones and exchange them for another device (via USA Today):
“We are asking users to power down their Galaxy note 7 and exchange them now,” Tim Baxter, president of Samsung Electronics America said in a statement on the company’s website. He said customers will receive another device until new Note 7 models are issued.
A Samsung investigation found that rechargeable lithium batteries manufactured by one of its suppliers were at fault in the fires. Samsung said it had confirmed 35 cases of the Galaxy Note 7 catching fire as of Sept. 1, most of them occurring while the battery was being charged.
Wireless carriers across the U.S. and Canada stopped selling the Note 7 earlier this month, and are now working on how to handle customer returns and questions.