Android Sees 85% of Mobile Device Failures, Led by Samsung: Study

15974 12535 Screen Shot 2016 02 23 at 104441 AM l

According to a report published today by Blancco Technology Group (BTG), Android mobile devices represent 85% of all device failures, while Apple’s iOS devices account for the remaining 15%. The data also reveals that Samsung devices suffer the highest failure rate at 27%, followed by Lenovo at 21%, Motorola at 18%, Xiaomi at 11% and Asus at 8% (via AppleInsider).

The study is based upon the data obtained from diagnostics testing of “millions” of iOS and Android devices in Asia, Europe, and North America, using BTG’s SmartChk platform. In the U.S. and Canada, performance was by far the biggest issue, accounting for 17% of device failures. Cameras, batteries, headsets, and microphones were found to be comparatively distant concerns.

Globally, the greatest problems were reported to be with cameras, which accounted for 10 percent of device failures. Touchscreens failed in 9 percent of cases, battery charging was an issue in 8 percent, microphones caused problems in 6 percent of issues, and general performance was pegged at 6 percent.

In Europe, the largest issue for smartphone users was carrier signal, while Asia mirrored the U.S. with performance problems.

It must be noted that BTG did not collect data for phones or tablets running other operating systems like Windows.

“Technology runs through my veins...” | Follow me: @DrUsmanQ usman@iPhoneinCanada.ca

  • hub2

    This stat is nice, but somewhat useless without checking against market share or installed base across the same regions.

    For example, Apple had 16.1% global share in 2015 and 15% in 2014, while Samsung had 22% and 24.7% respectively. This does show that Samsungs are failing at a higher rate (and Apple lower, but not by much) that market share would suggest. The remaining Android makers in this article fare much worse than their market shares would suggest.

    So: nice headline, but after looking at it more closely I won’t be crowing about this on any social media.

  • Normand

    Very misleading title Usman.

    You are better than this.

  • The numbers are from the study’s infographic

  • Andrew Robulack

    That’s exactly what I thought: doesn’t this just roughly match installed base, so doesn’t this then make natural sense? If Apple has 15% installed base then, yeah, the failure rate will be about 15%. Unless this is somehow normalized on a per capita basis, like, on average 15% of iOS devices fail while 85% of Android devices fail. That would be news, but that’s not how I’m reading it.