Starbucks Canada has announced Mobile Order and Pay will launch next week on October 13, at roughly 300 stores in the Greater Toronto Area. The debut of this mobile ordering service comes after a successful U.S. trial and a similar recent launch in the U.K. The announcement was made this morning at a press event in Toronto.
The company says the new feature will become available via an update to the Starbucks iOS app, to allow customers at stores in the Greater Toronto Area including Markham, Scarborough, Richmond Hill, Unionvzlle, Vaughan, Etobicoke, Aurora and Thornhill to order ahead on their iPhones, pay and skip line ups. Expansion to other Canadian cities is planned for 2016.
Jessica Mills, director brand and digital, Starbucks Canada, explained “Toronto is the largest city in Canada and also home to some of Starbucks busiest North American stores,” while also saying Mobile Order and Pay can allow customers convenience to bypass the line when it comes down to visiting Starbucks or making their next meeting or appointment.
How To use Mobile Order & Pay from your Starbucks app for iPhone (version 3.2)
1. Click on the “Order” option at the top right of the screen
2. Select the food and beverage items to order: Beverages are customizable, including the option to modify size, number of espresso shots, dairy selections and more
3. Select the participating store for pick up: Approximate wait times will be viewable on the customer’s phone prior to selecting store location. Directions will also be available, if needed
4. Confirm by clicking, “order:” At the time of order, payment is made from the customer’s registered Starbucks Card
5. Proceed to the participatingStarbucks® store to pick up food and beverages: Orders are sent to the selected store where Starbucks partners (baristas) will begin preparing the items
Starbucks explained via email there are over 1 million active Canadian My Starbucks Rewards loyalty program members and 18% of all in-store transactions are made through mobile payments at its over 1,300 stores nationwide.
— Johnathan Leger (@crosseyed_mofo) October 6, 2015
Let us know if you’re excited to try this next week!