Share:

Canadians Believe Technology is the Best Way to Stop Distracted Driving

Share:

Distracted

A recent poll carried out by insurance company Aviva Canada has revealed that 78% of Canadians believe technology is the best way to stop drivers from being distracted by their cell phones, CTV News reports. Majority of respondents said that instead of using police crackdowns or peer pressure, technology should be used to stops people from texting and using other phone functions while driving.

Of the 1,504 Canadians surveyed for the poll, 95 per cent said that others’ texting and driving makes them feel unsafe on the road. Eighty-eight per cent said they’ve witnessed the dangerous practice. Only 22 per cent admitted to doing it themselves. Forty-nine per cent thought that fines and demerits are an effective deterrent while only 32 per cent thought peer pressure can be successful.

According to the RCMP, almost 90% of collisions occur when a driver has their eyes off the road for just three seconds. Statistics also show that more people die on Canadian roads from distracted driving than impaired driving.

“For the first time, what we are seeing is that Canadians don’t think social persuasion or law enforcement strategies against distracted driving are working,” said Aviva Canada president and CEO Greg Somerville. Aviva also praised the new ‘do not disturb while driving’ feature on in iOS 11. “Technology is the only realistic answer”, he added.

Depending on the province or territory, penalties for distracted driving in Canada range from three to five demerit points and fines from $100 to $1000.

Share:

  • BeaveVillage

    Well I think all that needs to happen is that notifications are disabled the moment a person is detected as being in the driver seat of a moving vehicle. Sensor technology exists, it just needs to be implemented by all the vehicle manufacturers.

    This way passengers can have their phones, and Internet, while the driver drives in safety and in peace and doesn’t have to worry about a text lighting up the screen while they drive and they have that ‘feel’ urge to look at it.

  • SV650

    Really, 80% of drivers would rather not get caught and fined for using their phones improperly, while the other 20% are already meeting the requirement by either not using or not owning a smartphone.

  • Brenda

    This is probably the right approach but only when the car is running. I’ve pulled over or turned on to side streets or a parking lot and parked the car to do a detailed check of Google Maps when I’m really lost. It’s the only way to get a big picture view of where you are. Getting out of the car to do so would be an annoying extra step, especially during a Canadian winter.

Deals