There’s a hot new app that’s available in the App Store for free, called netTalk. This VoIP company has created an app for the iPhone that allows free calling to numbers to Canada and the USA over both 3G and WiFi (and even EDGE). It doesn’t use your daytime minutes, can’t receive incoming calls, and doesn’t show caller ID. But did I mention it allows for free calls?
Typically, I’ve been using the $2.99/month Skype subscription plan (with an additional $10 Skype Credit for Caller ID) to make my long distance calls. I might be making the switch to netTalk if this free service keeps up.
Here are the features:
– Free calling to the US and Canada
- Connectivity through WIFI/3G/Edge
- Record conversations
- Import your contacts from your phone
- Receive customized support through 611
- Dial 2663 for FREE conference calling bridge
- Free 411 Directory Assistance
- Integrated contacts from the phone
- Favorite Contacts
More details from their iTunes description:
- Link your netTALK DUO phone number to the app
- Low rates for international calling
- Receive calls on your iPhone to your netTALK number, without paying for cellular minutes
- Must be on WiFi/3G/EDGE
- Must create a netTALK account to use this app-no device needed
- International roaming charges may apply
- iPod touch/iPad require a compatible headset/microphone
- Operator data charges may apply.
- iPod touch 1st gen users must have iOS 2.2.1 or above
- Dialing 911 on the application will not work
I loved that my iPhone contacts were imported right into the app. Plus, there’s a tab for Favorites and Recent Calls. A feature I found very interesting was the ability to record live phone calls. The recorded calls show up in your Recents tab, and you can play them back like a Visual Voicemail.
The only pain was signing up for a SIP account, as that’s required to login and use the app. Oh, and don’t forget to add “1″ before you dial a number.
I tried test calls over both 3G and WiFi, and call quality was very good. Need to dial free long distance? Looks like this is the app we’ve been waiting for. This app is also available for Android, Blackberry, and Windows Mobile.
Click here to download netTalk and tell me how it works out for you!