Dev-Team Warns Not To Update To iOS 4.1


With Apple expected to release iOS 4.1 today, the iPhone Dev-Team has issued another warning urging iDevice owners to NOT update their device to iOS 4.1.

We all know that it is difficult to fight the urge to update our iDevice, but by doing so this week could make future jailbreaking and/or unlocking impossible.

As the Dev-Team notes, there is currently no known way to revert your baseband. By updating to iOS 4.1, the baseband will also update and users will lose the jailbreak and ultrasn0w unlock, possibly forever.

This time of year there are lots of new iPhone owners, and not everybody knows that accepting new iOS updates is the surest way to lose your jailbreak and/or unlock. While those of you who have Cydia or TinyUmbrella backups of your FW hashes will always be able to get back to 4.0.1 if you make this mistake, this doesn’t hold for unlockers.

So this week, if iTunes tempts you to update, stay away from iOS 4.1 until a safe jailbreak procedure is available (which is normally pretty quick).

Remember, it’s a trap!



  • Anonymous

    Use of Star Wars = +1 for Ex

  • Anonymous

    I’m on 4.02 (phone came with this) with an officially unlocked iPhone 4. I’m going to update 😀 – hopefully they will have a jailbreak for 4.1 out because there is no jailbreak for 4.02.

  • You can downgrade to 4.01 can’t you?

  • When they say Cydia backup of the FW Hashes, what exactly do they mean. I’ve been having issues with my phone crashing, locking up and text messages not going through. I wanted to run on 4.1 for awhile, and then revert back to see if it’s the Jailbreak causing the issue, or my phone in general.

    I don’t want to be stuck at 4.1 w/ no hope.

    Any ideas? Info? I’m gonna hit Google now, but if you guys can save me some time… Great 🙂

  • Ex

    You can only downgrade if Cydia has your hashes. But even then, on 4.0.2, it
    is quite difficult.

  • JfromK

    Dude has a point… whats the point of _not_ updating to 4.1.0 if your phone already came with 4.0.2 on it? you’re still stuck in the not able to jailbreak boat..

  • Ex

    Just hold out with what you have now until an official JB is available for

  • JfromK

    Okay, so the iPhone 4 is my first iPhone, I’m not overly interested in jailbreaking but I am in IT and who knows, I might want to jailbreak at some point. So how do I find out if Cydia has my Hash? if I’m on 4.0.2. Beyond that is Dev-Team saying if I upgrade to 4.1.0 that I will never be able to jailbreak ever, period?

  • Ex

    If you’re on 4.0.2, your iPhone is not jailbroken. Therefore, your hashes
    are not saved.

  • netskipper

    well, IMO, if one with factory unlocked iphone, what’s the point of waiting? 😛 unless u like all the freebies from the jailbreak 🙂 (well, not 100% freebies from them anyways… :P)

  • JfromK

    Alright so in laypersons terms, If you’ve never jailbroken when running 4.0.0 or 4.0.1, not used Cydia. etc. Have 4.0.2 on your iDevice. Then there really is no reason in not updating to 4.1.0 because either way, you can’t jailbreak your iDevice at this point in time..

  • I hate guessing if someone got my text or not.

    I don’t THINK it’s my jailbreak, but what else could it be? This way I could get Rogers and Apple to solve it for me, but I don’t want to be stuck waiting for a fresh jailbreak to occur. Even if they JB 4.1, I’ll have to leave it jailbroken and update from there correct? I won’t be able to restore and then jailbreak.

  • Ex

    Yes, BUT, let’s say you update to iOS 4.1 and something happens that makes
    it so your iPhone is permanently prevented from Jailbreaking. That is why
    the Dev-Team is saying to avoid iOS 4.1, no matter what iOS you’re on right

  • JfromK

    Will Dev-Team be able to announce if there is this anti-jailbreak forever code or whatever it might be in 4.1.0 when it is released today? assuming it is released today. or will it probably take them a few weeks to figure it out? Sorry I’m really not in the know when it comes to jailbreaking. This is a legitimate albeit probably ignorant sounding question…

  • Epgomez

    I’m sick and tired of this cat and mouse game. Bye apple hello android

  • I agreed to Ex, you have to wait before update to 4.1 . since apple is trying to prevent jailbreak. Let Dev-team says something about 4.1 first, then we know where to go!

  • Don

    Its only a cat and mouse game if you make it that way. Why would you want to update everytime there is an update available? The only reason I updated to 4.0 was because it was a pretty significant update. Multitasking, folders, backround wallpaper, better email etc. There probably wont be another huge update like that for another year or so. So IMO there is really no need to keep updating everytime apple includes a little fix here and there, you can probably get through cydia anyways. Enjoy your Android phone with your flash based web browser.

  • Tomsiphone

    It’s almost time to “accidently” upgrade your iphone! :))

    How the hell do you accidently download a 300MB file and go through the installation process without realizing what you’re doing. I laugh my ass off everytime I read about someone doing it. They get what they deserve!


  • JfromK

    Ooh.. flash based web browsers?..

    Theres a charger for that. 😛

  • Cshupe2

    so where the hell is 4.1!

  • Fml34freaky

    upgrade on itunes dumdass…

  • JfromK

    It’s out..

    iTunes just announced that a newer version of the iPhone software is available (verison 4.1).

  • Anonymous

    Exactly nice touch Ex!

  • Mr. Mac

    It’s up – go get it!

  • Pingback: iOS 4.1 Download Now Available in iTunes | iPhone in Canada Blog - Canada's #1 iPhone Resource()

  • Anonymous

    I’m downloading it tonight. I’m confident in Dev-Team that they can jailbreak it. In any case, it’s more important to me to get the bugs fixed on my 3G.

  • it wasn’t Ex, it was the Dev Team… but props to both

  • Tony

    Hi Ex,

    I’m a first time jailbreaker and am planning on unlocking my phone but haven’t yet. I haven’t updated to iOS 4.02 and I’m waiting until a new jailbreak is made available by Dev Team before I upgrade to iOS 4.1. Should I first jailbreak my phone and once Dev Team releases an update and then update to iOS 4.1 through iTunes? Do I first have to update to iOS 4.02? I’m very new to the process and not sure what order to go about doing this.

    Thank you for your help.

  • Ex

    Since a iOS 4.1 jailbreak is coming very soon, stay on your current firmware and wait for the Dev Team.

    At that time, you’ll update to iOS 4.1, jailbreak it and unlock it.

  • Pingback: iOS 4.1 Jailbreak Tool Coming Soon, Exploit Found | iPhone in Canada Blog - Canada's #1 iPhone Resource()

  • Rbbeck2

    I ‘m on 4.1 now. My iPhone contract with Bell expires in November . Does this mean I can’t unlock it to switch to another phone service?? I doubt that.