Griffin Survivor iPhone 4 Case: Meets US/UK Army Specs
If you work in an environment where your iPhone is exposed to extreme conditions, a strong case is essential. The latest case from Griffin Technology is their Survivor case for the iPhone 4. Griffin sent us this case and after checking it out, I’m confident to say this is one hardcore solution.
Opening the box you’ll find some screen protectors and a tiny microfibre cloth. That’s it. What makes this case so strong is the combination of the shatter-resistant polycarbonate shell wrapped in a tough silicone outer wrap. If your phone is wrapped in the full body invisibleSHIELD, it will barely fit inside this case. The best option is to go ‘naked’ with the Survivor.
Here are the specs:
- Independently tested and certified to meet conditions outlined in US Department of Defense MIL-STD-810 and UK Department of Defense Def-Stan 00-35
- Integral Display shield deflects Wind/Rain (Test: Up to 200 mm/hr for 1 hour)
- Rigid internal frame protects from Shock/Drop (Test: Drop on flat concrete surface from 6’/1.8 m)
- Sealed ports block Blown Sand/Dust (up to 18 m/sec for 1 hour)
- Silicone cladding blocks vibration (18 hrs at 20-2000 Hz)
- Multi-position clip attaches securely to pack strap or belt
If you’re the type of person that frequently has accidents with their iPhone, consider the Survivor case for your iPhone 4. Now, remember you’re going to get a tonne of protection–but along with that comes bulk. So there is a trade off.
Check out these video tests done by Griffin. I think they speak volumes for how strong this case really is. Now, if only I had this case on my iPhone 4 when I dropped it and smashed back glass panel.
Alternatives would be the OtterBox Defender series, which is also very formidable compared to the Survivor. However the silicone on the Survivor case is much thicker around the edges so I’ll say this case takes the cake.