The Globe and Mail for iOS Updated with Improvements Based on User Feedback
The Globe and Mail for iOS was revamped back in May of this year and since the update, many readers have provided their feedback to the news organization. The company has taken user feedback into consideration with today’s latest update.
What’s new now is the Top Headlines section is accessible on both iPhone and iPad and brings the latest stories from top coverages sections. The iPhone also got an update, now showing the top stories for a specific edition, followed by a list of headlines from other main sections.
There are now new sections for Sports and Life & Arts, with each section now showing a personalized list of stories based on your reading habits.
New swipe gestures have debuted to go back to a section. When reading an article, swipe right to move back to the section page, or left to read the next story.
Below is a list of other updates and bug fixes:
– Breaking news alerts will now take the reader directly to the story.
– We’ve made improvements to the way ads are displayed throughout the app.
– You are now able to login and register using Facebook or Twitter.
– You can now easily reveal related content to a story by swiping up from the bottom of the article page.
– Articles can now be bookmarked and un-bookmarked
– The app now refreshes content properly when coming back to it after backgrounding.
– External links in a story page will now open properly.
– Embedded videos in the story page will now play consistently .
– Fixed a crash that happened when reading large articles.
– Fixed a crash that happened when viewing bookmarked content.
– Fixed a bug where photo galleries sometimes showed small images.
– You can now launch a video or gallery directly from a section page.
– Improved performance and design of articles with embedded graphics and multimedia.
– Fixed an issue where some users were not being logged out properly.
– Lots of updates to the app to increase performance and stability.
The Globe and Mail developers noted “We’ve read every email, review and comment and have adjusted our update schedule to reflect it.” They continued to say major updates are in the pipeline.
Click here to download The Globe and Mail for iOS in the App Store. I’m still getting used to this revamped update and because of that, I’m actually using this app less.