Swift Playgrounds 4.0 Download Hits the App Store
Apple has released Swift Playgrounds 4 in the App Store, available for download on the iPad.
Apple originally teased the update back at WWDC, touting how Swift Playgrounds 4 would let developers create an app from start to finish, right on the iPad. Now it’s available for download and will be ready for kids and adults as they unbox new iPads for the holidays.
Swift Playgrounds 4 features the following:
- Build iPhone and iPad apps with SwiftUI right on your iPad (requires iPadOS 15.2 or later)
- App Store Connect integration lets you upload your finished app to the App Store
- App Preview shows live updates as you make changes to your app
- Full-screen preview lets you see your app edge-to-edge
- Smart, inline code suggestions help you write code quickly and accurately
- App Projects make it easy to move projects to Xcode and back
- Project-wide search finds results across multiple files
- Snippets Library provides hundreds of SwiftUI controls, symbols, and colors
- Swift Package support lets you include publicly-available code to enhance your apps
Apple told developers today, “Swift Playgrounds is the best and easiest way to learn how to code. And with Swift Playgrounds 4, you have the tools to build iPhone and iPad apps right on iPad and submit them directly to App Store Connect, providing a new way for you to easily create apps and share them with the world.”
“Code is immediately reflected in the live preview as you build apps, and you can run your apps full screen to test them out. A new open project format based on Swift packages can be opened and edited in Swift Playgrounds for iPad, as well as within Xcode on Mac, offering you even more versatility to develop apps across iPad and Mac,” explained Apple.
You can click here to download Swift Playgrounds 4 in the App Store.