We have reported about a couple flexible display patents Apple was granted, which of course suggested that the company has been investigating methods of implementing flexible displays in its upcoming products. But today Apple has posted a job listing that reaffirms the company is indeed considering incorporating flexible displays (via 9to5Mac):
Apple Inc. is looking for a Display Specialist to lead the investigation on emerging display technologies such as high optical efficiency LCD, AMOLED and flexible display to improve overall display optical performance.
Major responsibilities include:
– Investigate advanced display technologies. Analyze the trade-offs between design, process, optical performance, and implementation feasibility.
– Drive display & component suppliers on the advancement of materials, design & processes to meet display module and system design goals.
– Work with cross-functional team on the display architecture, prototyping and system integration. Solve critical issues.
– Support the display roadmap with technology.
– Conduct competitive study on display optical design and performance.
As the listing reveals, Apple is after a Sr. Optical Engineer and display specialist to lead investigate advanced display technologies, particularly LCD and OLED design and optical performance trade-offs, suggesting that Apple plans to introduce a new, advanced technology sometime in the future.
Although flexible display technology has been around for some time, it hasn’t yet hit a mainstream consumer product.