The third annual Recycle My Cell Student Challenge, as part of Waste Reduction Week in Canada, has resulted in students from K-12 and post secondary recycling 4,260 cellphones and other wireless devices, plus 270 kilograms of accessories and batteries. The challenge took place from Oct. 15th to Nov. 15th, 2012 with 131 schools across Canada participating:
“I want to thank all of the participants in this year’s Challenge for showing us again that Canadian students continue to be dedicated to the environment, “ said Bernard Lord, President & CEO of the Canadian Wireless Telecommunications Association (CWTA). “The success of the Recycle My Cell Student Challenge means a cleaner and more sustainable Canada for all of us, and these students should be applauded for their efforts.”
Schools that collected the most cellphones and accessories based on their student populations in the participating province or territory received $500 in donations to support their green initiatives.
The winning schools are listed below:
- Holyrood Elementary School, Edmonton, Alberta
- Bench Elementary School, Cowichan Bay, British Columbia
- Andrew Mynarski V. C. Junior High School, Winnipeg, Manitoba
- Tide Head Elementary School, Tide Head, New Brunswick
- Long Island Academy, Beaumont, Newfoundland and Labrador
- Dr. T.L. Sullivan Junior High School, Florence, Nova Scotia
- Antler River Elementary School, Muncey, Ontario
- Colonel Gray Senior High School, Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island
- Le Jardin des Rêves, Saint-Laurent, Québec
- Winston High School, Watrous, Saskatchewan
The following Recycle My Cell Partners helped support the recycling program: Bell, BlackBerry, Dell Canada Inc, Eastlink, GEEP Inc., GREENTEC, LG Electronics Canada Inc., Lynx Mobility, Mobilicity,Motorola Mobility, MTS, Nokia, Rogers Communications, Samsung Electronics Canada Inc., SaskTel, Sims Recycling Solutions, Sony Mobile Communications, TBayTel, TELUS, Videotron, Virgin Mobile Canada and WIND Mobile.
What old cellphones do you still have lying around? The Motorola DynaTAC (Zack Morris phone)? StarTACs?