We know by now users looking to sign a new iPhone 6 contract on 2-year terms will require minimum $80 per month plans from the Big 3.
However, Koodo is offering discounts on the iPhone 6 right now, meaning users can sign a 2-year contract and only pay the minimum $40 per month plan with a Medium Tab, albeit with a plan that has few minutes and data.
This is because there’s an extra $100 off Tab M plans for the 16GB model and $75 off for the 64GB model right now.
The cheapest Medium Tab plan is $40 per month and that includes:
- 200 anytime Canada-wide minutes
- 50MB of data ($5/50MB overages)
- Unlimited 5pm evenings and weekends
- Unlimited SMS/MMS
- Call display, voicemail
- Call waiting, conference calling, unlimited Canada-wide family calling
So for the 16GB iPhone 6 from Koodo will cost you the following:
- $375 up front for the iPhone 6 on a Medium Tab ($300 subsidy)
- $40 per month Medium Tab plan (200 minutes, 50MB)
- Total over two years: $375 + $960 = $1335 + Optional $35 unlock = $1370
Compare this to an outright unlocked 16GB iPhone 6 from Apple:
- $749 for iPhone 6
- $35 Canada-wide plan (200 minutes, 50MB) – BYOD 10% off = $31.50 x 24 = $756
- Total: $1505
That’s only a $135 difference (or $5.60 per month) in cost between the two options, but you need to factor in any data overages you may get. Of course you could go for a $45 or $50 plan, which changes the scenarios a bit.
If you have a friend on Koodo, if you use their referral code you each can save $25 off your tab, sweetening then offer a bit. Also, at The Mobile Shop stores, there is currently a scratch and save promo which could also be applied to this offer.
So if you are the type of person who does not use their iPhone during the day because you’re at work, and have plentiful Wi-Fi and can manage the risk of data overages, the Koodo Medium Tab for the iPhone 6 just might be for you if you want the cheapest possible price, instead of paying $80/month with the Big 3’s flagship carriers.
You get to save on the iPhone 6, but you’ll have a limited monthly plan with few minutes and data. Let us know if you’re going to jump on this.