It’s iPhone 11 and iPhone 11 Pro pre-order eve, folks. Apple has announced pre-orders will launch at 5AM PDT/8AM EDT on Friday, September 13, available on Apple.ca for Canadians.
For the longest time, Canadians on the west coast just had to stay up until midnight to place an iPhone pre-order, while east coasters had to set their alarms for 3AM. Now, the roles have reversed with Apple making us on the west side to wake up before 5AM local time to drop thousands on an iPhone 11 Pro.
If you haven’t pre-ordered an iPhone from Apple in Canada before, here are some simple tips for the fastest pre-order experience.
For starters, download the Apple Store iOS app to place your pre-order, as it usually comes back online and is faster than using Apple’s website.
After downloading the Apple Store iOS app, tap your profile in the upper right hand corner and set up your Primary Payment and Primary Shipping. You’ll be asked to sign in to your Apple ID and also enter your credit card’s security code if you haven’t done so already.
You need to do this before you fall asleep because once the Apple Store goes offline in the middle of the night, you won’t be able to edit your account details until pre-orders go live. The time you waste dealing with payment details is the difference between getting the iPhone you want.
Once you’ve set up your payment and shipping details, go select the iPhone you want, capacity and colour. Once this is done, tap the heart icon to make it a favourite. Repeat for other phones you’re going to pre-order.
Set your alarm for 10 minutes before the pre-order times of 5AM PDT/8AM EDT. At about 1 minute before the pre-order time, have the Apple Store app open as it will go live and the store back online. You may have to force close the app and relaunch it if you’re not seeing any action.
Once the store is live, just tap your profile picture in the top right, tap your favourite–which will be all set up–and boom, head for the checkout with Apple Pay.
Apple’s Reserve and Pick Up should pop up again this year. If and when it does, it will allow you to reserve your iPhone 11/11 Pro online and pick it up at an Apple retail store. If you decide to ‘change your mind’ in store at the time of pick up from buying outright to a carrier contract, Apple will let you do so.
- Have a backup iOS device ready or your Mac
- Disable Wi-Fi on iPhone and use LTE cellular data instead; keep your Mac or other device on Wi-Fi
- Set an alarm and a backup alarm (especially if you’re on PDT)
- Force quit the Apple Store app minutes before the pre-order time
- You’ll be going to bed on Thursday night and waking up Friday morning before 5AM PDT/8AM EDT
- Go configure the Apple Store iOS app now before it’s too late
Pretty much all Canadian wireless carriers will have iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro and iPhone 11 Pro Max pre-orders at the same time as Apple. Try your luck with them, or go with Best Buy instead (history shows you can get your phone faster).
- Rogers iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro pre-orders
- Telus iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro pre-orders
- Bell iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro pre-orders
- Freedom Mobile iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro pre-orders
- Best Buy iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro pre-orders