We are just over a week away from Apple’s much anticipated January 27th event. What will arise from this day? The so called “iTablet?” How about iPhone OS 4.0? All we know is we are going to expect something new according to the event invite’s line, “Come see our latest creation”.
There is speculation that the lack of iPhone OS updates since 3.1.2 was announced, is due to the face that within OS 4.0, there are details pertaining to Apple’s latest “tablet”. Therefore, we have seen and heard nothing. However, according to BGR and their “source”, we have some iPhone OS 4.0 rumours for you to feast on today:
- There will be multi-touch gestures OS-wide. (Would make sense for that as the rumored OS for the iTablet is close if not the same as the iPhone)
- â€œA few new waysâ€ to run applications in the background â€” multitasking.
- Many graphical and UI changes to make navigating through the OS easier and more efficient. We havenâ€™t had this broken down, but we can only hope for improved notifications, a refreshed homescreen, etc.
- The update will supposedly be available for only the iPhone 3G and 3GS, but will â€œput them ahead in the smartphone market because it will make them more like full-fledged computersâ€ more than any other phone to date. Everyone is â€œreally excited.â€
- The last piece of information is the most vague, but apparently there will be some brand new syncing ability for the contacts and calendar applications.
Now, with these “details” above I would say they don’t tell us much as we all are expecting some sort of revision in 4.0 anyways. What we can conclude is that iPhone OS 4.0 will meet and exceed the features and current smartphone competitors (ie Google’s Nexus One and Android 2.1). Of course, we can’t expect exact details from sources so soon, as this could be just a trap by Apple to track down moles within the company.
What do you think about these iPhone OS 4.0 rumours? Are you salivating yet for something new to hit your iPhone?