The iPhone Dev team has released the ‘beta’ version of redsn0w, their untethered jailbreak for the iPhone 4, iPod touch 4G, and iPad. This is beta, so use at your own risk and only with iOS devices you’re willing to test.
Known issues are Bluetooth not working, Springboard to crash via task switcher, and the iPod feature only works on the iPod touch 4G. Read the following very carefully before you proceed.
Right now, the â€œbackup planâ€ requires that you have the 4.2b3 IPSW on your Mac, and that Cydia has your 4.2b3 SHSH hashes. Â Please donâ€™t pirate that 4.2b3 IPSW! Â (Weâ€™re also working on a way that this technique might apply to all those with 4.1 IPSWs, but thatâ€™s not the first goal right now.)
If you fit all the above qualifications, please follow @redsn0w_testers on twitter for announcements, and use the comments section here for feedback. Â Thanks very much for your help, and Happy Holidays!
Update #1: Weâ€™re about to release the first beta using this new â€œbackup methodâ€, which redsn0w calls â€œJailbreak Monteâ€. Â Here are some important points:
- This is a betaÂ tester program. Itâ€™s not a general release! Â Things can go very wrong, so please donâ€™t even consider testing if you have pictures or other media on your device that you havenâ€™t backed up!
- For the same reason, please donâ€™t participate if you rely on the ultrasn0w carrier unlock. Â Wait for the final version!
- Until we fix some sandbox issues with bluetooth, the bluetooth functionality is disabled.
- This very first beta1 is limited to iPhone4, iPad, and iPod touch 4G.
- Cydia must have your 4.2b3 SHSH blobs saved on file. Â (As we approach a general release, weâ€™ll provide a way to let you use locally saved hashes too).
- You must already have the usbmuxd software installed and running on your Mac (this requirement will eventually go away too). The correct invocation of the relay is just as that page says: â€œ./tcprelay.py -t 22:2222â€. Â If the relay isnâ€™t installed or running correctly by the time the redsn0w ramdisk has started, youâ€™ll need to restore to stock FW again to try it again. Please test it beforehand to save yourself some time!
- Please leave all feedback in the comments below (we really need your feedback to help develop it into a stable release!)
The download link is:
- redsn0w 0.9.7b1 (OS X). Â Select â€œJailbreak Monteâ€ to try out the untether.
KNOWN BETA1 BUGS:
- Task switcher causes Springboard crash (temporary workaround is to use SBSettings process list)
- iPod player only works on ipt4g right now
- Bluetooth currently disabled due to sandbox problem
An untethered jailbreak means you reboot and turn off your iDevice, and still keep be jailbroken. If you were to reboot or turn off your device with a tethered jailbreak, you’d have to repeat the jailbreak process every time.
I recommend waiting for the next beta to try out if you don’t want to risk running into errors and troubleshooting your iDevice over the holidays. Well done, Dev Team.