Ultrasn0w Unlock for iPhone 3G/3GS on iOS 4.2.1 Released!
Update 2: from the Dev Team:
Thereâ€™s an error in the bundle for the iPhone3GS 4.1 that prevents the new baseband from being used. Â If you know your way around OSX, please download the fixed bundle, and unzip it if Safari hasnâ€™t already done so. Â Then â€œShow Package Contentsâ€ of PwnageTool.app, navigate to Contents->Resources->FirmwareBundles and drop it there. Â Otherwise, please wait for the updated PwnageTool, or the OSX version of redsn0w coming soon.
Update 1: If you’re on any of the following baseband versions below, and jailbroken–you can just install ultrasn0w via Cydia and unlock.
If your baseband is not listed, you’ll have to use install the custom 4.2.1 firmware (that contains the unlockable iPad baseband 06.15.00), then unlock via ultrasn0w in Cydia.
The Dev Team strikes again, as promised. Just over an hour ago they updated their blog with a post titled “Ultra-recycle” that provides instructions on how to unlock your iPhone 3G/3GS on iOS 4.2.1. A lot of users around the world have been waiting patiently for this to be unleashed. The day has finally come!
This latest version of ultrasn0w uses the iPad’s old baseband from iOS 3.2.2 (06.15.00). In order to inject this baseband into your iPhone 3G/3GS, you’ll require PwnageTool (redsn0w update coming soon for Windows users) to create a custom firmware to update/jailbreak your iPhone. Then, you’ll have access to ultrasn0w via Cydia.
Here are the details from the iPhone Dev Team blog–read them carefully:
Since 06.15 is a higher version than 05.14 or 05.15 (where AT+XAPP is gone), anyone stuck at those versions can simply upgrade to 06.15 to unlock again! Luckily for us, Apple *still* provides the iPad FW 3.2.2 with this vulnerable baseband right from their own servers. (Grab it now, before they take it down!)
Weâ€™ve been busy updating both PwnageTool and redsn0w to make the baseband update as seamless as possible.
1. First up is â€œPwnageTool 4.1.3 Unlock Editionâ€. It has a special dialog box which will ask you if you want to update to the iPad baseband. You must already have the iPad 3.2.2 IPSW on your computer (see the above link)â€¦.so just point PwnageTool at it (or let it find it on its own if youâ€™re in â€œsimpleâ€ mode).
2. Directly after PwnageTool 4.1.3 is available, the official ultrasn0w repo http://repo666.ultrasn0w.com will be updated with ultrasn0w 1.2, which covers iPhone 4 baseband 01.59.00 and iPhone 3G/3GS basebands 04.26.08, 05.11.07, 05.12.01, 05.13.04 and now 06.15.00.
3. Finally, weâ€™ll release an update to redsn0w today for those without Macs and canâ€™t run PwnageTool. The new redsn0w will give you the option to update your baseband to 06.15 too.
WARNING â€” YOU DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK! PLEASE UNDERSTAND THE CONSEQUENCES OF UPDATING TO 06.15.
1. There is no way to come back down from 06.15, and thereâ€™s no hiding the baseband version from Apple. Youâ€™ll be voiding your warranty in a very obvious way.
2. If some future baseband comes out with a critical fix, you wonâ€™t be able to update to it if it remains down in the 05.xx sequence (then again, you wouldnâ€™t update to it if you wanted to keep your unlock anyway).
3. Starting with FW 4.2.1 if you have 06.15 on your iPhone you wonâ€™t ever be able to restore to stock firmware (it will fail). Youâ€™ll need to only restore to custom IPSWs (then again, if youâ€™re unlocker you should already be doing that).
Certainly donâ€™t update to 06.15 if you donâ€™t need to! Only do this if you need the unlock and youâ€™re stuck on 05.14 or 05.15, and youâ€™re willing to assume the above risks.
This PwnageTool also contains a 4.2.1 bundle for iPhone3G ownersâ€¦for all else, itâ€™s still only 4.1. If you have an iPhone3GS with an old bootrom, the new redsn0w will handle 4.2.1 for you (in fact it covers 4.2.1 for all devices, even though some of them are still tethered at 4.2.1 until @comex can work some untethering magic). iPhone3GS users with old bootroms who want to go to 4.2.1 should not use this PwnageTool! Update to stock 4.2.1 first, then use the upcoming redsn0w to update your baseband.
Please feel free to use our comments section for questions. We have some very knowledgeable and helpful moderators: angiepangie, Confucious, dhlizard, and Frank55!
Official Bittorrent Releases
SHA1 Sum = adda6d882dce1b5117d01586037de289407e038a
iPhone 4 owners on baseband 02.10.04 will have to continue to wait for an unlock. Those on 01.59.00 can be unlocked in this latest version of ultrasn0w.
I have an old iPhone 3G that I will be testing this with. If you’re going to try this, let us know how it goes for you!