The Apple Arcade exclusive is an “ecological adventure about freedom and survival” and is stunning to look at. The game will also be released on both Nintendo Switch and Steam later this year, although Apple Arcade is currently the only place to enjoy it at the moment.
Here’s the official iTunes description for Gibbon: Beyond the Trees:
- Experience free-flowing dynamic movement based on brachiation, the way real gibbons swing through the trees
- Master acrobatic moves, including launching from another gibbon’s hands in mid-air
- A touching adventure of a family of gibbons trying to survive amid an encroaching human threat.
- Play through an hourlong adventure in story mode, or race to freedom through a procedurally generated jungle in liberation mode.
- Stunning 2D hand-painted visuals that breathe life into a rapidly vanishing world.
- Explore varied environments, from the wild jungles of Southeast Asia to the hectic human world beyond.
- Gibbon: Beyond the Trees deals with challenging but acute environmental topics, including deforestation, poaching, and climate change.
You can download the game by becoming an Apple Arcade subscriber for $5.99 CAD per month.