Today Apple released the firmware 3.1 (7C144) update for iPhone/iPod Touch.
Below are the updates in the firmware 3.1 update:
- Free for iPhone owners
- Free for iPod Touch owners that have 3.0 firmware installed
- Baseband updated to 05.11.07
- Tethering Data Counter underneath the Cellular Network Data counter (New order is: Battery Percentage, Time since last full charge, Call Time, Cellular Network Data, Tethering Data)
- The “.123” button on the keyboard now reads “_123”
- Can now copy/paste videos into emails, similar to how you would copy/paste photos
- Support for augmented reality applications. Augmented Reality applications can be seen here such as ‘Layar’ or New York Nearest Subway.
- Genius support for AppStore (Genius Mixes).
- Genius Recommendations from downloaded apps
- 30,000 pre-cut ringtones, $1.29 each
- Visual organization of applications via iTunes (use iTunes on your computer to drag apps onto virtual Home screens, then sync them to your iPhone)
- Improved syncing options for music, movies, TV shows, podcasts and photos
- iTunes U content organization
- Redeem iTunes Gift cards, codes and certificates in the App Store
- Display available iTunes account credits in the App Store and iTunes Store
- Browse and download ringtones wirelessly from the iTunes Store
- Save video from Mail and MMS into Camera Roll
- Option to “Save as new clip” when trimming a video on iPhone 3GS
- Better iPhone 3G Wi-Fi performance when Bluetooth is turned on (stability)
- Remotely lock iPhone with a passcode via MobileMe
- Use Voice Control on iPhone 3GS with Bluetooth headsets
- Paste phone numbers into the Keypad
- Option to use Home button to turn on Accessibility features on iPhone 3GS
- Warn when visiting fraudulent websites in Safari (anti-phishing)
- Improved Exchange calendar syncing and invitation handling
- Fixes issue that caused some app icons to display incorrectly
Remember, if you have your iPhone/iPod Touch jailbroken and/or unlocked, you should not immediately update to 3.1 when it is released, as you will lose both your jailbreak and unlock.
Also note that firmware 3.1 kills IPCC and Mobile Config Profile hacks to enable Internet Tethering.