According to the J.D. Power 2016 Smartwatch Device Satisfaction Report, Apple ranks highest in customer satisfaction with smartwatches and performs particularly well in comfort, styling, appearance and ease of use. Samsung took the second spot, performing well in customer service, display size and phone features. The South Korean company also scored the top spot among manufacturers of fitness band devices.
“Both the wearable fitness tracking device and smartwatch marketplaces are evolving as more and more brands are offering updated devices with new features and services,” said Kirk Parsons, senior director and telecom, media & technology practice leader at J.D. Power. “However, it is important that device manufacturers focus on offering a product that is reliable at a price that is perceived as good value based on its features. Those that do so early in the game may improve their opportunity to increase satisfaction, customer loyalty and repurchase intention.”
J.D. Power’s customer satisfaction reports measured overall satisfaction with smartwatches among customers who purchased a smartwatch device within the past 12 months and satisfaction with fitness band trackers among customers who purchased a fitness band device within the past 12 months.
Below are the Smartwatches Brand Satisfaction Rankings for 2016:
- Apple (852) ranks highest in customer satisfaction with smartwatches and performs particularly well in comfort, styling/appearance and ease of use.
- Samsung (842) ranks second, performing well in customer service, display size and phone features.
- Overall customer satisfaction with smartwatches is 847.
- Overall, 19% of smartwatch customers indicate having experienced one or more problems, with the most common being battery charge not lasting long enough/battery not charging (29%); difficulties customizing (23%); and broken charger (22%).
- When customers experience one or more problems with their smartwatch, there is a significant 21-point drop in overall satisfaction.