When Steve Jobs shows up personally to Cupertino City Council meetings to discuss new campus proposals, you better listen to your largest taxpayer. Cupertino has posted some new details regarding Apple’s proposals for their upcoming campus:
The proposal includes:
- An Office, Research and Development Building comprising approximately 2.8 million square feet;
- A 1,000 seat Corporate Auditorium;
- A Corporate Fitness Center;
- Research Facilities comprising approximately 300,000 square feet;
- A Central Plant; and
- Associated Parking.
Cupertino’sÂ review process will consist of:
- Environmental Impact Assessment (including traffic, noise, air quality, etc.) during which there will be opportunity for public comment
- Development review
- Public hearings at the Planning Commission and the City Council
The new campus is pretty radical in its design, resembling a ‘spaceship’ from the future. These higher resolution renderings indicate Apple plans to utilize their expertise in glass technology (as seen in their upcoming 5th Ave Cube renovations) to make this campus environmentally friendly by using natural light where possible. Also note Apple plans to add extensive greenery throughout the entire campus, making it resemble a building being surrounded by trees, shrubs, grass, and more.
Take a look at some pictures below:
Such a radical design, but it works.