After Apple announced its picks for the best apps and games on its platforms earlier this morning, Google on Tuesday revealed its top picks for this year’s content.
In a new blog post from the tech giant, the company announced it has two categories of winners: There’s a “users’ choice” award for the best movie, app, game, and ebook selected by Google Play users, and there are the company’s own selections for the best app and best game.
Activision’s Call of Duty: Mobile beat PUBG Mobile and Fortnite to secure both the Users’ Choice and the best Android game of the year by Google titles.
“The Best Game of 2019 should be fun, accessible, and deliver compelling gameplay that’s a blast to play,” wrote Google in the Play Store post. “It also needs to push the boundaries of what we expect on mobile, and this year’s winner does all of that without skipping a beat.”
Google also selected a “Best App” in Ablo — a service that lets you “make new friends worldwide.” There are also collections for Best Everyday Essentials, Apps for Personal Growth, Hidden Gems, and Apps for Fun.
“This year, one app truly stood out from the rest: it surprised and delighted us with its ingenuity and polish,” added Google. “Beautifully designed and thoughtfully executed, it’s our Best App of 2019.”
Here’s the entire list of winners:
- Users’ Choice App: Glitch Video Effects — Video Editor
- Users’ Choice Game: Call of Duty: Mobile
- Users’ Choice Movie: Marvel Studios’ Avengers: Endgame
- Users’ Choice Book: Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark
- Best App: Ablo: Talk to new people & explore the world
- Best Everyday Essentials: Appy Weather: the most personal weather app
- Best Personal Growth App: Peleton
- Best Hidden Gem: Big Bang AR
- Best for Fun App: 21 Buttons: Fashion Social Network & Clothing Shop