GoogleSync Delivers Push Gmail for iPhone!
It’s about time!
Google has finally released Push capabilities for the iPhone and Gmail. The new function allows you to sync either your email, contacts or calendars, or a combination of the three.
This is great for Gmail users who have been waiting for an integrated Gmail Push service without having to download an apps or pay for Apple’s MobileMe service.
However, there is one thing to note. The new Push Gmail service is powered by Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync (cringe) and the iPhone can only support one Exchange account at a time. What this means is if you are already using an Exchange ActiveSync account, you will not be able to use the Gmail Push service seamlessly. Also, if you have multiple Gmail accounts, you will only be able to choose one account to use with ActiveSync.
Nevertheless, it is great to see some kind of push email functionality finally integrated.
To check out it out, visit m.google.com/sync from your computer.
If you want to get up and running ASAP, follow Google’s steps below:
1. Open the Settings application on your iPhone home screen.
2. Navigate to Mail, Contacts, Calendars
3. Tap Add Account…
4. Select Microsoft Exchange
Enter Account Info
5. In the Email field, enter your full Google Account email address
6. Leave the Domain field blank
7. Enter your full Google Account email address as the Username
8. Enter your Google Account password as the Password
9. Tap Next at the top of your screen
9a. Choose Accept if the Unable to Verify Certificate dialog appears
10. A new Server field will appear. Enter m.google.com
11. Press Next at the top of your screen again
12. Select the Google services you want to sync
13. Unless you want to delete all the existing Contacts and Calendars on your phone, select the Keep on my iPhone option when prompted. This will also allow you to keep syncing with your computer via iTunes.
If you want to sync only the My Contacts group, you must choose to Delete Existing Contacts during the Google Sync install when prompted. If you choose to keep existing contacts, it will sync the contents of the “All Contacts” group instead.
Next learn how to choose which calendars to sync, if you’d like to enable multiple calendars.