Apple recently published a new video tutorial on its Apple Support YouTube channel, explaining how Apple Watch owners can use Apple Pay on these wearable devices in addition to their iPhones.
Apple Pay is a feature that makes checking out at retail locations and with merchants much faster by allowing users to make credit/debit card payments by simply hovering their iPhone or Apple Watch near a qualifying contactless NFC reader.
“If you use Apple Pay on your iPhone, it’s easy to add a card and make purchases using your Apple Watch too,” says Apple in the video.
If you use Apple Cash on your iPhone (USA only), it is automatically enabled for payments from your Apple Watch as well. Otherwise, you’ll need to add a debit/credit card to Apple Pay on your Apple Watch before you can start using it to make payments. To do so, simply:
- Open the Watch app on your iPhone.
- Locate and tap on Wallet & Apple Pay.
- Under the Other Cards on Your Phone section, tap on Add next to the debit/credit card you would like to add as a payment method to your Apple Watch.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to add the card.
The first card you add to your Apple Watch becomes the default payment method for Apple Pay. This can be changed in Watch > Wallet & Apple Pay on your iPhone.
Once you’ve added a payment method or two to your Apple Watch, you’re ready to make a purchase using Apple Pay on the wearable. To make a purchase with your Apple Watch at a participating retailer or payment terminal, you need to:
- Double-click the side button on your Apple Watch to open your default payment card.
- If you want to use a different card for the payment, scroll down to pick one.
- Hold the display of your Apple Watch near the contactless NFC reader.
When the payment is successful, your Apple Watch will beep and you’ll feel a gentle vibration.
Check out the full video tutorial above from Apple for more details.
For more useful Apple Watch tutorials, take a look at Apple Support’s collection of 10 Apple Watch tips and tricks every user should know.