iPhone 2.2 firmware is now available to download via iTunes! It seems as though the rumored predictions of 2.2 coming out on the 21st were partially correct because the release came out around 10:30PM PST (but it would be 1:30AM EST, November 21st).
What’s included in this firmware update? Well, no big surprises here folks but you’ll now see Google street view (not available in all cities–any Canadian cities?), public transit and walking directions, direct downloads of podcasts via the iTunes app, along with other fixes and stability to Safari and Mail.
Enhancements to Maps:
* Google Street View
* public transit and walking directions
* display address of dropped pins
* share location via email
Enhancements to Mail
* resolve isolated issues with scheduled fetching of email
* improved formatting of wide HTML email
* Improved stability and performance of Safari
* Podcasts are now available for download in the iTunes application (over Wi-Fi and cellular networks)
* Decrease in call set-up failures and call drops
* Improved sound quality of visual voicemail messages
* Pressing the Home button from any Home screen takes you the first Home screen
* Preference to turn on/off keyboard auto-correction
* Click here to read the update security enhancements.
The update is available to download now via iTunes. Here are some direct links:
Go get it! But…
Remember: Do Not Update to 2.2 Firmware if You Need the 3G Software Unlock
Like we talked about yesterday, do not update to 2.2 firmware if you care at all about the iPhone 3G software unlock. The iPhone Dev Team will shortly be reporting on when it will be safe to update to 2.2 and have a functioning iPhone 3G software unlock.
Why is the software unlock so important? It will essentially unlock your iPhone 3G and allow you to use it with any GSM carrier worldwide. This is handy when you travel and want to pop in a local SIM card. Also, by having an unlocked iPhone 3G you are increasing the resale value of your phone. In the future, selling a locked iPhone to Rogers limits you to Canadian buyers. Selling an unlocked iPhone on the other hand extends your purchasers to the entire globe. Food for thought, no? 😉
As for myself, I’m going to try holding off updating (of course this is going to be easier said than done) to 2.2 firmware because I’m really curious and interested in an iPhone 3G software unlock, since I have some future travel plans coming my way. Using my iPhone 3G overseas will be extremely useful! On the other hand I also desperately crave the new fixes and stability improvements to Safari and Mail. Hmm…what to do?
As for the rest of you, if you update to 2.2 please let me know what you think of the latest firmware update by pushing it in my face in the comments! :p
More Updates: iTunes 8.0.2 Has Been Released
Late last night there was an update to iTunes, version 8.0.2. What’s new in this version? You can expect the this update to have improved stability and performance along with the following fixes:
• Addresses a quality issue creating MP3s on some computers.
• Fixes a connectivity issue with the iTunes Store when using some Internet proxies with Mac OS X.
• Improves accessibility with VoiceOver.
Wow, two big updates in one night by Apple. First iTunes, then 2.2 iPhone firmware! Be sure to let us know how the 2.2 firmware update goes in the comments!
**Looking for an iPhone 3G case? Go get an invisibleSHIELD, the strongest protection for your iPhone backed by a 30 day moneyback guarantee, lifetime replacement warranty, and FREE shipping! Use coupon code iphoneinca for 20% off your purchase! Order today!**
If you enjoyed this post, please subscribe to my RSS feed, so you won’t miss any updates! You can also subscribe via email and have daily updates sent to your Inbox! Want more? Find out what I’m doing right now! Follow me on Twitter!