A couple of days back, Apple announced that it has recently sold its one billionth iPhone, calling it the most important, world-changing and successful product in history. Today, Asymco’s Horace Dediu has published a list of best-selling products in a range of categories, in which the iPhone has been named the best-selling mobile phone of all time. In fact, it is the overall best selling product of all time. Here’s what he writes:
“The iPhone is not only the best selling mobile phone but also the best selling music player, the best selling camera, the best selling video screen and the best selling computer of all time.
It is, quite simply, the best selling product of all time”.
Dediu continues that Apple’s smartphone is so much more than a product. “It is an enabler for change. It unleashed forces which we are barely able to perceive, let alone control. It changed the world because it changed us”, he says.
“And it did all that in less than nine years. One has to wonder what it will enable in the next nine”.
Check out the complete list below and see how far ahead the iPhone is from every other product:
- Car model: VW Beetle 21.5 million
- Car brand: Toyota Corolla 43 million
- Music Album: Thriller 70 million
- Vehicle: Honda Super Cub 87 million
- Book Title: Lord of the Rings 150 million
- Toy: Rubik’s Cube 350 million
- Game console: Playstation 382 million
- Book series: Harry Potter Series 450 million
- Mobile Phone: iPhone 1 billion