BestBuy.ca has a sale right now on their Geek Squad Certified Open Box smartphones, which includes some Apple iPhone 6, iPhone 6s and iPhone 7 models.
What exactly is Geek Squad Certified Open Box? It’s essentially refurbished models—here’s how Geek Squad describes it:
- Fully operational and in “like-new” condition
- Restored to original manufacturer specifications
- Professionally cleaned and repackaged with all parts and accessories
There are locked 32GB iPhone 6s models available for $499.95, savings of $270 off compared to new and unlocked from Apple at $769. If you factor in the $50 fee to unlock it, you’re saving about $220 versus buying new from Apple.
Also available are locked iPhone 6 models in 16GB for $399.95.
As for iPhone 7, carrier-locked models in 32GB and 128GB are available priced at $699 and $799 respectively. Apple sells the 32GB iPhone 7 for $899 and the 128GB iPhone 7 for $1029.
These are only available online and not in-stores. Now according to the product description though…
- In-store activation on a two-year voice and data Plus plan is required.
- SIM card is not included and is available from $9.99 and up.
So it seems like once you buy these, you need to activate them on a two-year plan with a carrier? That doesn’t make sense, since they’re listed as outright pricing. But if you do decide to purchase, you can always return it in-store.