As tipped earlier, T-Mobile has released a new carrier update for the iPhone to add some new and important features like Visual Voicemail, LTE and HD Voice support for eligible devices, the updated support forum informs (via TmoNews).
The carrier update is for existing eligible iPhones using a T-Mobile SIM card, running iOS 6.1 or later.
In line with what TmoNew’s sources whispered earlier this week, the update comes over-the-air and, as the document notes, the update is for T-Mobile and any officially unlocked GSM iPhone. The device software must not be jailbroken, however.
Among the most exciting features the update enables are AWS LTE, HD Voice and AWS HSPA+ for officially unlocked AT&T versions of iPhone 5, while other iPhone users can enjoy Visual Voicemail, 4G network indicator and battery life improvements.
We have contacted Roam Mobility on how this update will affect its unlocked iPhone 5 users in Canada, as we were wondering whether the carrier update will remain for unlocked iPhone 5 users using T-Mobile pay-as-you-go down in the USA. Meanwhile our eyes are on Wind Mobile, hoping they will announce… something…
For the full set of new features brought by the carrier update, you can read the release document below.
iOS software version 6.1
Available to all eligible iPhones using a T-Mobile SIM card
Enables the following:
- Visual Voicemail
- 4G network indicator
- Commercial Mobile Alert System (CMAS)
- AWS LTE (T-Mobile and officially unlocked AT&T iPhone 5 only)
- HD Voice (T-Mobile and officially unlocked AT&T iPhone 5 only)
- AWS HSPA+ (T-Mobile and new 2013 AT&T iPhone 5 only)
- MMS Settings
- Personal Hotspot Settings (Smartphone Mobile Hotspot)
- APN settings for LTE connectivity
- My Account bookmark
- Battery life (result of network/device optimization)
- T-Mobile iPhone or any officially unlocked GSM iPhone
- Latest iOS software version
- Device software is not jailbroken
- 50% battery life or connected to a power source
- Data connection or a computer with iTunes and internet access
- Minimum of 1 MB available memory (File size of update is ~10 KB)”