As the @NHL conversation heats up on Twitter across the U.S. and Canada ahead of the 2018/2019 season, Twitter Canada has shared the top trends, emerging superstars, and some familiar faces in new places that are defining how and when users talk about the league on the social network.
Starting with the teams, Twitter has ranked the top 10 NHL team accounts that earned the most regular season mentions on Twitter during the 2017/2018 regular season, including Canada’s own Toronto Maple Leafs (@MapleLeafs) and Montreal Canadiens (@CanadiensMTL).
- Vegas Golden Knights (@GoldenKnights)
- Pittsburgh Penguins (@Penguins)
- Toronto Maple Leafs (@MapleLeafs)
- Boston Bruins (@Bruins)
- Chicago BlackHawks (@NHLBlackHawks)
- New York Rangers (@NYRangers)
- Nashville Predators (@PredsNHL)
- Montreal Canadiens (@CanadiensMTL)
- New Jersey Devils (@NJDevils)
- Los Angeles Kings (@LAKings)
Another list ranks the top 5 moments that drove the most Twitter conversation amongst fans of Canada’s @NHL teams over the past 12 months.
- July 1, 2018 – NHL free agent season begins with John Tavares signing with the Toronto Maple Leafs as a free agent plus Tomas Pleskanec re-signing with the Montreal Canadiens, Paul Stastny leaving the Winnipeg Jets for the Vegas Golden Knights and James van Riemsdyk leaving the Toronto Maple Leafs for the Philadelphia Flyers
- May 10, 2018 – The Winnipeg Jets defeat the Nashville Predators to advance in the Stanley Cup Playoffs (Game 7 – NHL Western Conference Semi-Final)
- April 8, 2018 – Daniel and Henrik Sedin each play their final NHL games in Edmonton with the Edmonton Oilers defeating the Vancouver Canucks in a shootout victory
- June 22, 2018 – Opening round of the 2018 NHL draft with the Montreal Canadiens (3rd), Ottawa Senators (4th), Vancouver Canucks (7th) and the Edmonton Oilers (10th) all selecting in the Top 10
- October 4, 2017 – The 2017/2018 NHL season begins, including a 3-0 Edmonton Oilers victory over the Calgary Flames and a 7-2 Toronto Maple Leafs victory over the Winnipeg Jets
And finally a list of the 10 most mentioned NHL players on Twitter over the past 12 months.
- John Tavares, Toronto Maple Leafs (@91Tavares)
- Alex Ovechkin, Washington Capitals (@ovi8)
- Auston Matthews, Toronto Maple Leafs (@AM34)
- Erik Karlsson, San Jose Sharks (@ErikKarlsson65)
- P.K. Subban, Nashville Predators (@PKSubban1)
- Sidney Crosby, Pittsburgh Penguins
- Brad Marchand, Boston Bruins (@BMarch63)
- Taylor Hall, New Jersey Devils (@Hallsy09)
- Marc-Andre Fleury, Vegas Golden Knights
- Connor McDavid, Edmonton Oilers (@cmcdavid97)