Yesterday, we reported how Sony has finally decided to release “The Interview” in a small number of theatres across the US, and is also planning simultaneous video-on-demand availability of the movie. Starting today, Google is offering the movie for rent and purchase on both YouTube and Google Play, while Microsoft is streaming it on Xbox as well. However, if you’re an Apple TV, iPhone/iPad or Roku streaming box user trying to figure out how to catch the movie on your device in the US or Canada, GigaOM has the answer.
Apple TV users can purchase or rent ‘The Interview’ on YouTube Movies or Google Play on the web from a PC or Mac and then stream it to their Apple TV. If you don’t know how, you can read more about it here. Similarly, iOS device users can stream the movie as long as they have the YouTube app or Google Play Movies & TV app installed. Finally, Roku users can access the movie through the YouTube app as well, provided they have one of the current-generation Roku models that actually carries that app.
While the movie is accessible online for Canadians, here are some of the US cinemas showing ‘The Interview’ which are within driving distance (from each province) for passport-holding Canadians (via CBC News):
- Stanwood Cinemas 5, Stanwood, Wash.(1 hour, 50 minutes from Vancouver).
- Ark Lodge Cinemas, Seattle, Wash. (3 hours from Vancouver).
- Plaza Three Cinemas, Oak Harbor, Wash. (2 hours from Vancouver).
- Grand Theater 6, Williston, N.D. (3½ hours from Regina).
- Fargo Theater 2, Fargo, N.D. (3½ hours from Winnipeg).
- Phoenix Theatres State-Wayne, Wayne, Mich. (30 minutes from Windsor).
- State Theatre, Ann Arbor, Mich. (51 minutes from Windsor).
- Tower City Cinemas, Cleveland, Ohio. (2 hours, 41 minutes from Windsor).
- The Dunkirk Movieplex 59, Dunkirk, N.Y. (1 hour, 15 minutes from Niagara Falls).
- Dipson Flix 10 Stadium, Lancaster, N.Y. (45 minutes from Niagara Falls, starting Dec. 26).
- American 5, Canton, N.Y. (1 hour from Cornwall).
- Merrill’s Roxy, Burlington, Vt. (1½ hours from Montreal).
- Palace 9, Burlington, Vt. (1½ hours from Montreal, starting Dec. 31).
- Hollywood Cinemas, Bangor, Me. (3 hours from Saint John).
- Caribou Cinema 4, Caribou, Me. (2 hours from Fredericton).