Apple has released a support document to help Windows 10 users on Mac fix distorted screen issues.
According to the support document published on Apple’s website, some users with Mac models with AMD Radeon graphics cards have been experiencing issues in which the right side of their screen flickers and distorts while running Windows 10. While it only affects the right side of the display on Mac displays, external display distortion may affect the entire screen.
Additionally, users might notice that their Windows 10 installer says the computer isn’t ready for that version of Windows due to the old AMD graphics driver.
The support document says that “Mac models that have AMD Radeon graphics might experience either of these issues”:
- After installing Microsoft Windows 10, the right side of your screen flickers and is distorted when running Windows. On external displays, the distortion might affect the entire screen.
- The Windows 10 installer says that your Mac isn’t ready for this version of Windows 10 because it has an old AMD graphics driver.
The first way to potentially fix the issue is to update the AMD graphics driver for Windows. If they’re already up to date, Apple asks users to use a workaround until AMD offers a later version of their graphics drivers for your Mac model.
“If updated AMD graphics drivers aren’t yet available for your Mac model, you can work around the issue on an external display by reducing the resolution of the display or using a lower-resolution display. These steps work on most displays, excluding the Apple Pro Display XDR and LG UltraFine 4K and 5K displays”:
- Right-click your desktop, then choose Display Settings.
- Click ”Advanced display settings”.
- From the menu of displays, choose the affected display.
- Click ”Display adapter properties” for the affected display.
- Click the List All Modes button.
- Choose a display resolution no greater than 3840 x 2160.
- To save your changes, click OK, then click OK again.
Apple does not that while this workaround should get the job done on most external displays, it will not work on the Apple Pro Display XDR and the LG UltraFine 4K and 5K displays.