T-Mobile has launched a free app called Bobsled that was recently updated to allow for free calls from your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch to landlines in the U.S., Canada, and Puerto Rico over WiFi or 3G.
The app requires a Facebook account to login. Once connected, you will have access to all your Facebook friends and iPhone contact list. Moreover, there’s the dial pad that allows to make free calls (similar to what we’ve previously seen with MagicJack’s iPhone app).
I tested it out by calling a local Starbucks (no, I didn’t order 4000 lattes to go) over 3G, and ringing is replaced with a funky tone. Once connected, the quality was decent (I only had three bars of service) and the employee was clearly able to hear what I was saying over speakerphone and vice versa. Bobsled recommends using a headset to make and receive calls. Who doesn’t like free calling?
Below are the features of Bobsled:
– Call Facebook friends on Facebook (web) or Bobsled Mobile
– Free outbound calls to anyone in the US, Canada, Puerto Rico using DialPad
– Receive calls from your Facebook friends using Bobsled
– Post Voice Messages to your friends’ walls
– Conversation History
– High definition audio for Bobsled-to-Bobsled calls
– CD quality audio on WiFi and cellular connections
Apps such as Bobsled are great when you’re travelling to make free calls back home. Of course, Skype is always a dependable option too.
Click here to download Bobsled–it’s free. Let me know how the free calling works for you.