Looks like the Skype team has released another update to the popular Skype iPhone app (used to make unlimited calls to Canada/USA for $3/month–read below for more info!). The contacts tab has moved to the top and there is a new SMS feature. Here is a list of the new features in Skype 1.2:
* You can set up call forwarding from your iPhone – forward Skype calls to a phone number when you’re not signed in, so you can pick up calls even when the Skype app isn’t running on your device
* Improved performance and better audio quality when making Skype-to-Skype calls
* It’s even easier to send text messages (SMS) – you can now send SMSs from the Call tab
Skype 1.2 Update Still Works Over 3G!
Currently, Skype does NOT work over 3G as it’s limited to a WiFi connection (heck, Skype isn’t even in Canada). However, there is a away around that if you have a jailbroken iPhone. Currently with my iPhone 3GS, I am using 3G Unrestrictor which still works with this latest 1.2 update. If you’re using an iPhone 3G, VoIPOver3G should work too (someone let me know). Here’s proof it’s still working over 3G:
How to Download Skype in Canada and Make the Cheapest Long Distance Calls–EVER!
1. Create a US iTunes account without a credit card.
2. Download Skype.
3. Setup a SkypeOut account and make unlimited calls to Canada/USA for $3/month (sure beats paying $0.35/min long distance)! If you have SkypeOut credit, that will enable you to send SMS and activate Caller ID (to show any mobile number).
Here is a screenshot of the Skype 1.2 update (notice the warning message is still there for modified iPhones–but it still works like a charm). The contacts button is now easily accessible up top, and the SMS icon has replaced where the contacts button used to be:
So there you have it. Skype 1.2 is safe to use if you’re one of the many using Skype over 3G on your iPhone! 🙂