Developed by Tony Fadell, former Apple hardware designer who led the creation of may generations of iPods and iPhones, Nest Learning Thermostat is the world’s first commercially available learning thermostat that can help save up to 20% percent on home heating and cooling bills by automatically turning itself down when you’re away, is now shipping to Canada. Starting today, Canadians can order the Nest Thermostat at nest.com/store for US$ 249 + shipping. For those who aren’t aware, Nest automatically learns from your habits and creates a personalized energy-efficient temperature schedule for your home.
Here’s how Nest works for you:
- Keeps you comfortable. With Auto-Schedule, Nest learns your personal schedule and temperature preferences and Nest continues to refine its schedule over time.
- Helps you save. Nest saves energy with both automatic, Nest-exclusive energy-saving features and by giving you the information you need to make better energy-consumption choices.
- Auto-Away - When Nest’s built-in sensors detect that no one is home, Auto-Away automatically lowers the temperature.
- Airwave - Your AC continues to cool the air around it for 5 to 10 minutes after it’s off. When humidity in your home is low and the weather’s hot, Airwave automatically turns the air conditioner off a few minutes early, then uses the fan to spread that cold air through your home. This Nest exclusive can reduce A/C runtime by up to 30%.
- Energy History - See whether your energy use has increased or decreased compared to the previous week, and understand the cause of that change (your adjustment, Away, or the weather).
- The Nest Leaf - Nest tracks the temperatures you typically set and guides you to more energy-efficient ones, displaying the Leaf as a reward when you choose a more energy-efficient temperature.
Control from anywhere. Connect Nest to your home’s Wi-Fi to control it from your laptop, smartphone or tablet. Change the temperature, adjust your schedule and check your energy history remotely. Simple to use. Rotate the outer ring to adjust the temperature. The display turns blue when cooling and orange when heating. Push down to open the menu. Convenient installation options. If you’re comfortable changing a light fixture, you can install Nest. In fact, most Nest owners install Nest themselves, with three out of four DIY customers installing it in 30 minutes or less. If you prefer, you can purchase Nest Concierge professional installation service on nest.com.
Nest is also offering professional installation through the Nest Concierge program for US $119 USD for the first unit and US $25 for each additional unit.