Microsoft Lens, a handy capture app that turns your smartphone into a pocket scanner, and has become one of the most popular free apps on Windows Phone since its release last year, has today been released for iOS and Android platforms. Since the app works with OneNote, you won’t lose anything, might it be receipts, business cards, menus, whiteboards or some sticky notes you might like to carry around in your smartphone.
(Before-and-after look at pictures of a receipt and a paper document captured and processed by Office Lens for iPhone)
All the scanned images you capture from Office Lens are accessible on all your devices. Simply capture, crop, enhance and save to OneNote. Below is a list of some of the more significant features and capabilities of Office Lens app for iPhone:
- Recognizes the corners of a document and automatically crops, enhances and cleans up the image.
- Identifies printed text with optical character recognition (OCR) so that you can search by key word for the image in OneNote or OneDrive.
- Converts images of paper documents and whiteboard notes into Word documents, PowerPoint presentations and PDF files for easy editing and reformatting (see more details here).
- Captures business cards and generates contacts you can add to your phone.
- Inserts images to OneNote or OneDrive (as DOCX, PPTX, JPG or PDF format) and gives you options to save, export and share the image.
Office Lens for iPhone is available as a free download in the App Store.