Amazon Launches 5 New Echo Devices in Canada with Pre-Order Savings
At a media event in Seattle today, Amazon announced new Echo products for 2019, which are now available for pre-order in Amazon.ca and shipping later this year.
The new Echo Studio looks to be a competitor to Apple’s HomePod but at a cheaper price, while the Echo gets updated with “even better sound”, while Echo Dot gets a built-in LED clock option. There’s now an Echo Show 8 with larger display, while the Echo Flex looks to be a cheaper way to add Alexa to any room.
Here’s what was announced, according to Amazon:
- Echo Studio: Our best-sounding Echo ever, with five directional speakers for immersive sound, room adaptation technology, and a built-in smart home hub for CDN $259.99. Available November 7.
- All-new Echo: Featuring an updated fabric design and even better sound, still only CDN $129.99 (buy 2 save $40). Available October 16.
- Echo Flex: The most affordable way to add Alexa to any space in your home, this plug-in smart speaker is wireless and only CDN $34.99 (buy 2 save $15). Available November 14.
- Echo Dot with clock: This new option for Echo Dot includes a bright LED display that shows the time, outdoor temperature, timers, and alarms—only CDN $79.99 (buy 2 save $25). Available October 16.
- Echo Show 8: The latest addition to the Echo Show family with an 8-inch display, crisp and powerful sound, and a built-in camera shutter for added peace of mind for CDN $169.99 (buy 2 save $65). Available November 21.
“We love hearing feedback from customers about how they use Alexa throughout their day—whether that’s listening to music, dropping in on a loved one or playing a game with the family,” said Tom Taylor, Senior Vice President, Amazon Alexa, in an issued statement to iPhone in Canada. “We hope these new Echo devices will give customers even more ways to access Alexa—whether that’s through the best-sounding Echo yet—Echo Studio, a reimagined Echo and Echo Dot, new designs like Echo Show 8 and Echo Flex.”
New Alexa features coming include Whisper Mode (you can whisper to Alexa and she’ll whisper back), multilingual capabilities for Canada to support both English and French, plus the ability to auto-delete voice recordings older than three or 18 months. Alexa will also be able to explain her responses and repeat what she heard from your queries.
Sadly, it looks like wearables such as the Echo Frames eyeglasses and Echo Loop smart ring won’t be available in Canada, along with wearable Echo Buds wireless earphones. Amazon Sidewalk, Echo Glow and Echo Flex are also not in Canada.
Check out Mark Gurman’s Twitter feed for more details on American launches:
Echo Frames glasses. pic.twitter.com/hTLmxGzuGD
— Mark Gurman (@markgurman) September 25, 2019