WhatsApp has today rolled out a new security feature for WhatsApp Web and Desktop, allowing users to take advantage of Touch ID and Face ID when linking their iOS and Android devices.
Today we’re starting to roll out a new security feature for WhatsApp Web and Desktop: face and fingerprint unlock when linking devices.
WhatsApp does not see your face or fingerprint data.
— WhatsApp (@WhatsApp)
To log in to WhatsApp on WhatsApp Web, WhatsApp Desktop, or Portal, you need to use your phone to scan the QR code.
- Open WhatsApp on your phone.Android: Tap More options .
Android: Tap More options .
iPhone: Go to WhatsApp Settings.
- Tap WhatsApp Web or WhatsApp Web/Desktop.
Android: Tap LINK A DEVICE. Follow the on-screen instructions if your device has biometric authentication.
iPhone: Tap Link a Device > OK. On iOS 14 and above, use Touch ID or Face ID to unlock.
- Select the checkbox next to Keep me signed in on the QR screen on your computer or Portal to stay logged in on this device.
- Use your phone to scan the QR code on your computer or Portal.
- If prompted, tap or select Done.
WhatsApp can’t access the biometric information stored by your device’s operating system.