After tinkering around with ZiPhone 2.5c and its features, the “I need to update my iPhone to the latest firmware” bug took a huge bite out of me. I’ve been on the solid 1.1.1 firmware for a while now, constantly fighting back urges to update.
Anyways, along comes the weekend and I happen to have some spare time. That means update time! So today I’m going to show you a tutorial on how to update your iPhone firmware from 1.1.1 to 1.1.4 using ZiPhone 2.5c. The instructions are pretty straight forward, and if you watch the following two videos I have every single second accounted for, from the time I restore in iTunes to the unlock with Ziphone.
How to Update iPhone Firmware 1.1.1 to 1.1.4 with ZiPhone 2.5c
Disclaimer: These are the steps I took and I was successful. They should work for you, but please be aware of the risks involved with updating your iPhone!
- Sync your iPhone one last time to backup contacts, etc.
- Download and install iTunes 7.6
- Download ZiPhone 2.5c (Windows version…Mac version). Extract the files to a directory you will be able to find later on.
- Launch iTunes. Plug in your iPhone to your computer and it will be detected. Click RESTORE (important). If 1.1.4 hasn’t been downloaded, it will. Wait for the restore to finish.
- Launch ZiPhone 2.5c. Click the “Do it all” button and patiently wait.
- After 4 minutes or so, it should be complete. Pop in your SIM to test that it works, then install the BSD Subsystem via Installer before you install any 3rd party apps (Running into the “Download Package Failed!” problem? Click here to fix it).
- That’s it! You’re done! You should be on 1.1.4 with everything working perfectly. WiFi, SMS, Locate Me in Google Maps, YouTube…etc…everything worked for me.
Too lazy to follow my steps? Watch the following two videos as every second mentioned above is documented, from start to finish. Here is the clip on restoring my iPhone to 1.1.4 via iTunes:
Here is the second part of the video on unlocking 1.1.4 using ZiPhone 2.5c:
That’s it! Hopefully those who have been waiting to update, you should know that now is the time to do so. It’s super easy and if you follow the instructions above you should be successful. After the unlock was complete, all I had to do was sync my iPhone with the previous backed up profile to regain all my contacts, bookmarks, notes, calendar events, call log, and songs. Happy updating! =)
This was definitely a Staples “That was easy!” button moment!
If you enjoyed this post, please subscribe to my RSS feed, so you won’t miss any updates!