If you’re a Canadian and have taken the time to setup your Google Voice account, you will be happy to know that the official Google Voice app for the iPhone is now available. Previously, Google had created a web app for Google Voice as their app was rejected from the App Store.
Access your Google Voice account right from your iPhone.
Receive push notifications for new text or voicemail messages.
Send free text messages to U.S. numbers and make international calls at cheap rates.
Listen to your voicemail, read transcripts and manage your Google Voice inbox.
Display your Google Voice number as caller ID when making calls.
Call contacts from your iPhone Address Book or enter new numbers on the dialpad.
A Google Voice account is required to use this app. To sign up go to www.google.com/voice.
Google Voice is only available in the United States.
From the Google Voice Blog:
Earlier this year we launched a Google Voice HTML5 web app for iPhone users. Today weâ€™re taking the Google Voice experience on the iPhone to a whole new level with the launch of the official Google Voice for iPhone app.
With this native app, youâ€™ll continue to have access to all the major Google Voice features on your iPhone, like:
* Cheap rates for international calls
* Free text messaging to U.S. numbers
* Voicemail transcription
* Display your Google Voice number as caller ID when making calls
In addition to these benefits, the app provides some features that make using Google Voice on your iPhone a much better experience:
* With push notifications, the app will alert you instantly when you receive a new voicemail or text message
* Most of your calls will be placed via Direct Access Numbers, making them connect just as quickly as regular phone calls
Update 1: Google Voice is not available in Canada yet, but there are workarounds.