Earlier this month, Facebook accidentally launched Slingshot, the company’s answer to Snapchat, on the iOS App Store before it was quickly removed. Today however, the app has been officially released for iOS and Android and is available as a free download. For iOS, the app is currently live in the U.S. App Store only but should be available in Canada pretty soon as well (UPDATE: It’s US-only, so you’ll need a U.S. iTunes account for early access).
Slingshot basically allows users to quickly share their photos and video with lots of people at once. Simply shoot a photo or video of what you’re up to and sling it to a bunch of friends, hence the name ‘Slingshot’. Other users however won’t be able to see your shot until they sling something back. You can either tap on a shot to react, or simply swipe it away.
Here are some of the app’s features according to the official iTunes description:
- Stay in touch: Capture photos and videos of moments you want to share with friends
- Go shot for shot: To unlock new shots, first you have to sling something back
- Enjoy it while it lasts: Once you swipe a shot away, it’ll no longer be viewable
- Send a quick reply: After unlocking a shot, respond with your reaction
- Get creative: Express yourself with captions and drawings
- Look when you want: View unlocked shots later if you’re busy
Download Slingshot for iPhone, iPod touch and iPad [Direct Link]