WhatsApp vs Ping! iPhone to iPhone Messaging Review
Remember when we reviewed Ping! for the iPhone? Ping! was pretty much an equivalent to BlackBerry Messenger (BBM) but for iPhone users. The program was fast, simple, and easy to setup. However, as with the evolution of all apps, there’s a new kid on the block that does the same thing, but better. Say hello to WhatsApp!
WhatsApp: Taking Ping! To A Whole New Level
I’m going to keep this review short and sweet. Why is WhatsApp better than Ping! at the moment? Here’s why:
– Messages send instantly like a chat; no progress bar watching like Ping!
– Ability to update your status; ie Eating Lunch, Away, Busy, etc; Also set status to “expire” after a duration
– Uses your iPhone contacts automatically and detects when they are on WhatsApp; no need to add users by ID
– “Typing” appears underneath your friend’s name when they are typing
– WhatsApp is currently FREE in the App Store
– Call, chat, or email contacts within the app
– Clean UI, very slick and Apple-like
– Facebook integration
– Future updates will have ability to communicate with BBM users!
– Privacy: easier to give someone your Ping! ID vs your actual phone number for WhatsApp
– WhatsApp requires your phone number…why?
Why do you ask for my phone number?
So there you go. Right now I’ve been loving WhatsApp as a replacement for Ping! (although I still enjoy Ping!) and even IM+ at times for quick chats. The best part about WhatsApp is the speed and how contacts are already there, if they are using WhatsApp. Save on your SMS costs by using WhatsApp or Ping! like everybody else!
Click here to download WhatsApp. Tell me which one you think is better! WhatsApp or Ping! ??