Victoria is Canada’s “Most Romantic City” Five Years Running Says Amazon
Amazon has released annual data on which city in Canada has the most sales of romance novels, to take the crown of “Most Romantic City.”
For the fifth year in a row, British Columbia’s capital city, Victoria, has taken the title yet again. The rankings are based on comparing sales data from January 1, 2016 to January 1, 2017, from print and Kindle editions, “plus romantic comedies, relationship books, jewelry and sexual wellness products,” in cities with over 80,000 residents.
Here is the list of the top 20 “Most Romantic Cities” in Canada:
- Victoria, British Columbia
- Abbotsford, British Columbia
- North Vancouver, British Columbia
- Grande Prairie, Alberta
- Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
- Prince George, British Columbia
- Waterloo, Ontario
- Nanaimo, British Columbia
- Kamloops, British Columbia
- Calgary, Alberta
- Red Deer, Alberta
- Lethbridge, Alberta
- Kingston, Ontario
- Regina, Saskatchewan
- North Bay, Ontario
- Medicine Hat, Alberta
- Edmonton, Alberta
- Burlington, Ontario
- Maple Ridge, British Columbia
- Newmarket, Ontario
There must be something in the water here in Victoria—Amazon says the city had a clean sweep in every category, buying the most romance novels, romantic comedies, jewelry, relationship books and sexual wellness products.
Eight cities in the top 20 are newcomers this year compared to 2016, such as Abbotsford, to go with Grand Prairie, Prince George, North Bay, Medicine Hat, Burlington, Maple Ridge and New Market.
Top selling items:
- The overall best-selling romance novel of the year was Me Before You by Jojo Moyes.
- The most popular item was a men’s 10K yellow gold chain followed by a white gold aquamarine and diamond engagement ring.
- The overall best-selling movie in the category went to newcomer, The Intern