Apple has recently updated its AirPods with the newest H1 chip, offering better performance, faster connections, longer battery life, and built-in hands-free “Hey Siri”. Commonly referred to as the ‘AirPods 2’, they come with a standard charging case, or the new Qi-compatible Wireless Charging Case with an LED to indicate charging status.
However, if you already own the first-generation AirPods and are contemplating upgrading to the new model, the following lists compiled by a Reddit user can help you figure out everything that’s new, and unchanged with the AirPods 2.
What’s New with AirPods 2
The new H1 chip enables:
- 2x faster when switching between active devices
- 1.5x faster connection time for phone calls
- Voice-enabled Siri access (no need to tap the AirPods twice; just say Hey Siri now)
- Up to 30 percent lower gaming latency (tested with Tomb of the Mask v1.6 and Doodle Jump v2.76.4)
- Improved talk time power efficiency
- AirPods talk time increased from 2 hours to 3 hours
- AirPods + Charging Case talk time increased from 11 hours to 18 hours
- 15 minutes of charging provides 2 hours of talk time, previously 1 hour
- Bluetooth version has been upgraded from 4.2 to 5.0
What’s Unchanged with AirPods 2
- No official mention at all on any change to sound quality
- Same 5 hours of audio playback, AirPods + Case still provides the same 24 hours of audio playback
- No noise cancellation
- No water resistance
- No multi-point pairing
- No new colour
Do you plan on upgrading to the new AirPods? Click here to buy them from Apple.ca.