Apple has announced the App Store Best of 2020 winners, which it says is “recognizing 15 apps and games that proved to be essential for making life easier, healthier, and more connected this year.”
These apps were chosen based on their “high quality, creative design, usability, and innovative technology, these apps and games are equally celebrated for their positive cultural impact, helpfulness, and importance.”
Best Apps of 2020
- iPhone App of the Year – Wakeout!, developed by Andres Canella
- iPad App of the Year – Zoom
- Mac App of the Year – Fantastical, developed by Flexibits
- Apple TV App of the Year – Disney+
- Apple Watch App of the Year – Endel
Best Games of 2020
- iPhone Game of the Year – “Genshin Impact,” from miHoYo
- iPad Game of the Year – “Legends of Runeterra,” from Riot Games
- Mac Game of the Year – “Disco Elysium,” from ZA/UM
- Apple TV Game of the Year – “Dandara Trials of Fear,” from Raw Fury
- Apple Arcade Game of the Year – “Sneaky Sasquatch,” from RAC7
App Trends of 2020
- App Trend of the Year: Shine, for helping users practice self care
- App Trend of the Year: Caribu, for connecting families to loved ones
- App Trend of the Year – “Pokémon GO,” for reinventing the way we play, from Niantic
- App Trend of the Year: ShareTheMeal, for helping users make a difference
“This year, more than ever before, some of our most creative and connected moments happened in apps. This was thanks to the amazing work of developers who introduced fresh, helpful app experiences throughout the year,” said Phil Schiller, Apple Fellow, in a statement.
“Around the world, we saw remarkable efforts from so many developers, and these Best of 2020 winners are 15 outstanding examples of that innovation. From helping us stay fit and mindful, to keeping our children’s education on track, to helping fight hunger, their impact was meaningful to so many of us,” added Schiller.
In a year unlike any other, developers have amazed us with new ways to keep us connected, entertained, active and healthy. Congratulations to the incredible app and game creators behind the @AppStore Best of 2020! https://t.co/duY64VGtmw pic.twitter.com/b98OkoGYXa
— Tim Cook (@tim_cook) December 2, 2020
These winners will also receive the first-ever physical App Store Best of 2020 award, a signature blue App Store icon, made from 100 percent recycled aluminum with the name of the winner engraved on the back.